Sleepy John Estes is known as one of the masters of Delta Blues, so when learning to play the blues, he's a good place to start with. In this video lesson, see how to play the song "Somday Baby" by Estes on your blues guitar in an Open G tuning with a slide.
Estes was born in either 1899 or 1904 to a family of sharecroppers. He cut his first record in 1929 in Memphis. With little musical success, John fell into obscurity.
Sleep John Estes was tracked down by folklorist Sam Charters in 1962. He was living in poverty and blind. His musical career was revitalized in a big way. He toured Europe, Japan, and resumed recording. Estes played at the Newport 1964 Folk Festival.
This song (Someday Baby) has been covered by many musicians, like the Allman Brothers and most recently Bob Dylan. Bob Dylan mentions Estes in the sleeve notes to Bringing It All Back Home (1965).
Download the PDF.
Kevin Duggan's "Masters of Delta Blues Guitar" series is devoted to giving you free guitar lessons for blues songs from the greats.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades