Guitar pedals add character to your playing. However, musicians still say that certain pedals by themselves don't live up to its promise of a perfect sound. Therefore, instead of replacing your guitar pedals with new and expensive ones, you can modify your pedals using different DIY kits available online and at local music stores.
Using these kits, you can explore different tones and sound options without spending too much money. More important, modifying your guitar pedals helps you find the sound you are been looking for.
Step 1 Research your pedal
Research on the pedal that you will build or modify. You have to be familiar with its structure and the materials that were used to build it. It'll be helpful if you have a mod sheet for a specific effect.
Step 2 Get the tools
Buy and prepare all the tools you'll need for modifying your pedal, such as a soldering iron, screwdrivers and capacitors.
Step 3 Find the parts to be swapped out
Open your guitar pedal and look for the parts you want to swap. You can use the mod sheet you found as reference to keep track of the corresponding number of the capacitor on the circuit. Once you find them, use a felt tip marker to mark them.
Step 4 Remove the capacitors
After marking the capacitors, start desoldering them one by one by heating the capacitors with your soldering iron. Once you've desoldered them, you will find two small holes on your circuit. Place the new capacitor or tube in the two holes.
Once done, test you pedal before sealing it again.
- Upgrade the resistors in the circuitry regularly to provide a stable signal flow and create a tighter sounding distortion.
- Make sure to test your modified pedal every time you change something in it.
- Practice on scrap circuit boards to develop your desoldering skills.
If you want to totally modify your pedal, you can paint it with your desired color or you can use stickers for a more unique look.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades